Internship: Offshore Seaweed Farming
WHO ARE WE?
As a non-profit organisation with a passion for seaweed, North Sea Farmers works towards positive climate impact. By accelerating and strengthening a sustainable seaweed sector in the Netherlands and Europe, we aim to improve biodiversity, reduce carbon emissions and be part of the circular economy.
To achieve this, we are building a North Sea Farmers community with companies, entrepreneurs and other pioneering organizations to share knowledge and to speed up developments. The North Sea Farmers community is full of seaweed-lovers and seaweed-heroes.
To gain new insights and knowledge in the world of seaweed, we have our own Offshore Test Site: a test and research location in the North Sea of 6 km2. Located 12 kilometres off the coast of Scheveningen, this plot allows us to actively work towards our dream: 400 km2 of seaweed farms in between wind parks.
Both the climate crisis and the growth of the world population challenge us to look for new solutions. The cultivation of seaweed is an extraordinary opportunity: to grow seaweed there is no need for any land, fresh water or fertilizers. Therefore, it is one of the most sustainable crops to cultivate.
Seaweed is a very versatile and nutritious plant that can be used for all kinds of (sustainable) applications: food for humans, animals and plants, packaging material, medicine and even biogas. Therefore, we are working towards a sector that produces high-quality, safe and local seaweed in a nature-inclusive and innovative way.
Our vision? Seaweed farms at sea that strive for synergy between nature, food and energy, located between the offshore wind turbines. By combining these different activities, we can make multiple use of the space at sea: so called ‘multi-use at sea’.
WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO?
You will be part of our North Sea Farmers team: a small, motivated and young team eager to make climate impact with seaweed. With this team you will help carry out the pilots at the Offshore Test Site. This means that next to the office job, you might need to get your hands dirty for offshore work.
To help the seaweed sector further, North Sea Farmers tries to fill in knowledge gaps within the community. We do so by connecting community members and collecting much-needed information. Your tasks include helping to organize working groups, creating fact sheets and contributing ideas to technical issues. Topics we are currently working on are:
- Developing a ‘nature friendly’ anchoring system for our seaweed cultivation structures
- Developing seaweed cultivation within offshore wind farms
- Professionalising the safety management system for working offshore
- Analyses of the retrieved data we get form our smart measuring buoys;
Regarding the offshore work, you will have tasks such as: support with seeding and harvesting of the seaweed, hands-on work in the harbour and, for example, helping with repairs to the cultivation structures
WHAT DO YOU BRING TO THE TABLE?
- You are enthusiastic about the seaweed sector and eager to learn more about it;
- You work precise and at the same time you can see the bigger picture;
- You have a hands-on mentality and are able to work independently;
- You are social and dare to approach people;
- You can speak both Dutch and English appropriately
- You are a MSc or HBO student
- You are interested in learning more about the technical and cultivation side of seaweed
- You are available from September 1 onwards for six months period (full-time) in The Hague (depending on the current RIVM guidelines).
- You currently live in the Netherlands
What do we have to offer?
- A challenging and varied internship for a unique organisation with a mission;
- A scale-up organisation with a motivated team that does not only talk, but gets things done;
- A full-time internship allowance of € 275 (gross) per month.
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO BECOME OUR NEWEST SEAWEED CULTIVATION HERO IN MAY 2021? THEN JOIN OUR MOVEMENT, BECOME A NORTH SEA FARMER AND BE PART OF THE SOLUTION!
We can imagine you still have some questions, feel free to give us a call (06-31041602) or send us an e-mail! Send your letter of motivation and CV before June 30 by e-mail to email@example.com