Internship: Systems Engineer for seaweed cultivation & aquaculture
Are you a university student with an interest in sustainability, innovation and technology? And are you looking for an internship in an impact-driven organisation? Then we are looking for you!
The Hague | 40 hours a week | 6 months | as of September 2020
We are Noordzeeboerderij. As a non-profit organisation, we work to accelerate and strengthen the Dutch seaweed sector. Through our community we bring companies, entrepreneurs and other organisations together to share knowledge. In addition, we manage the North Sea Innovation Lab (NSIL): an offshore incubator and test location of 6 km2, 12 kilometres off the coast of Scheveningen. The NSIL is used for research, pilots and focusses on the upscaling of innovation in seaweed cultivation and shared use of offshore wind farms.
Both the climate crisis and the growth of the world population challenge us to look for new solutions. The cultivation of seaweed is an extraordinary opportunity: to grow seaweed there is no need for any land, fresh water or fertilizers. Therefore it is one of the most sustainable crops to cultivate. Seaweed is a very versatile and nutritious "crop" that can be used for all kinds of (sustainable) applications: food for humans, animals and plants, packaging material and even biogas. Asia has been growing seaweed on a large scale for a longer period of time but needs to be imported and is not always sustainable. That is why we, as Noordzeeboerderij, are working towards a sector that produces high-quality, safe and local seaweed in a nature-inclusive and innovative way.
Our vision? Farms at sea that strive for the synergy between nature, food and energy, located between the offshore wind turbines. By combining these different activities, we can make multiple use of the space at sea: so called ‘multi-use at sea’.
What are you going to do?
We learn a lot from the projects at our offshore test location the NSIL. As part of the NSIL team, you will contribute to gathering knowledge and to our role as (design) process supervisor of offshore multi-use projects. Examples include contributions to setting up a thorough systems engineering process, setting up databases for, among other things, safe innovation at the NSIL, professionalising the risk and requirements register for seaweed cultivation & multi-use installations within offshore wind farms and developing knowledge databases. You do this in close collaboration with the Noordzeeboerderij team and our seaweed network. Our NSIL coordinator will be your primary point of contact.
- You are a MSc student with an appropriate profile, such as Management of Technology, Systems Engineering, Marine Technology, Offshore Engineering or Civil Engineering;
- You have affinity with the process-related side of technology and the offshore sector;
- You work precise and at the same time you can see the bigger picture;
- You have a hands-on mentality and are able to work independently;
- You are social and dare to approach people;
- You have demonstrable experience with English language;
- You are available from September onwards for a 6 month period (full-time) in The Hague.
What we offer you:
- A challenging and varied internship for a unique organisation with a mission;
- A small organisation with a motivated team that does not only talk, but get things done;
- A full-time internship allowance of € 275 (gross) per month.
Please send us your motivation letter (maximum 1 page) and CV before August 7th by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Would you like to know more about the content or about the start of the internship? Mail Zinzi Reimert via email@example.com or call 06-31041602.